Avery, Sewell

1943                                           Sewell Avery                                                1986

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 827 
Keel laid May 29, 1942, launched Nov 28, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-A1 under its World War II vessel construction program.  Launched as Lancashire.  Renamed Sewell Avery and delivered at commissioning to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., taking in trade (for this vessel and strs. George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley) seven older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price

620’ LOA, 605’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, compound engine, 2500 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 25, 1943 (Temp #24)
604.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 8758 GT, 6472 NT     US 243488     to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth)

Entered service May 26, 1943 clearing Lorain OH light for Duluth MN

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN May 29, 1943

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Boilers converted to oil firing 1973 at Milwaukee WI by Advance Boiler & Tank Co.

Fleet made a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation 1981, renamed USS Great Lakes Fleet Inc., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)

Laid up Sept 30, 1981 at Superior WI and did not operate again

Sold 1986 to A. B. McLean Ltd., for use as a dock at Sault Ste. Marie ON.  Towed to Sault Ste. Marie May 1987 and sunk.

IMO 5321461

 

4303

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *