1943 Gurden Gates 1943 (1967)
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size ocean cargo vessel
Built at Superior WI by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Hull 17
Launched May 9, 1943
(Christened by one of the Dionne quintuplets of Callender ON. Vessel christenings and the use of famous people as vessel sponsors were used extensively during World War II to publicize the war effort and to sell Savings Bonds. The five vessels of this class which were used temporarily for a short time in the Great Lakes grain trade were all launched the same day, each sponsored by one of the quintuplets.)
260’ LOA, 240’ LBP, 41’ beam, 18’ depth
Coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1300 IHP
Built for the U. S. Maritime Commission under its World War II shipbuilding program. USMC Hull 415. N3-S-A1 cargo ship. Lend-leased to British Ministry of War Transport.
Participated temporarily in the Great Lakes grain trade before leaving the Great Lakes.
250.6 x 41.3 x 18.4, 1791 GT, 1016 NT Br 169665
Entered Great Lakes service Aug 3, 1943
Abandoned by crew Feb 17, 1967 after fire in the engine room off Cape Gata, Cyprus, Mediterranean Sea. Enroute from Tripoli Lebanon to Tripoli Libya. Wreck beached on south coast of Cyprus.