1865 Spartan 1 1924
Iron sidewheel passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Montreal QC by Gilbert Shipbuilding Co.
Iron plates for hull fabricated in Scotland and shipped to Montreal for assembly
Entered service May 1865
175’ LBP, 28’ beam, 11’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, horizontal engine
Enrolled Canadian 175.8 x 28.0 x 11.0, 1168 GT, 678 NT (home port Montreal QC)
Built for Canadian Navigation Co. (the Royal Mail Line), Kingston ON
Entered service 1865 operating between Toronto ON and Montreal QC
Fleet merged 1875 into Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., Montreal QC
Chartered 1882 to Owen Sound Navigation Co., Owen Sound ON for service between Georgian Bay and Lake Superior ports.
Grounded June 1883 on Caribou Island, eastern Lake Superior. Abandoned to underwriters as constructive total loss. Towed to Detroit MI, repaired and returned to owners and former route
Remeasured 1898 at 179.8 length, 946 GT, 544 NT
Lengthened 1898 at Kingston ON and renamed Belleville (1).
Remeasured at 200.8 x 28.0 x 11.0, 1233 GT, 607 NT
Assigned Official Number Can 122070 by 1905
Fleet merged 1913 into Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC
Reduced 1915 to package freight service only. Passenger accommodations removed 1920
Remeasured at 200.2 x 27.0 x 11.0, 639 GT, 255 NT
Scrapped 1924 at Kingston ON
See history in Scanner March 1971 (#14)