(1945) 1956 Aquarama 2007
Steel day excursion passenger vessel
Built at Chester PA by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Hull 357
Launched April 30, 1945
Built as Marine Star for U. S. Maritime Commission as Class C4-S-B2 cargo vessel during World War II, registered at 495.0 x 71.7 x 20.9, 10780 GT, 7533 NT. Laid up after the war in the James River reserve fleet. Sold Dec 1950 to owners below.
Towed fall 1952 to Brooklyn NY, where she was converted to a day excursion passenger vessel by Todd Shipyards Corporation. Towed to the Great Lakes late 1953 via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers to Muskegon MI, where conversion was completed. Renamed Aquarama 1955.
520’ LOA, 493’ LBP, 71’6” beam, 26’ depth
4 decks, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 9000 SHP
495.0 x 71.7 x 20.9, 12773 GT, 10894 US 248329 to:
Wisconsin & Michigan Steamship Co., Detroit MI (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered Great Lakes service Oct 1956 conducting post-season excursions out of Detroit MI. Began regular summer excursion service 1957 operating between Detroit and Cleveland OH.
Laid up at end of 1962 season at Muskegon MI and did not operate again.
Sold 1987 to North Shore Farming Co., Port Stanley ON for use as a hotel and towed to Sarnia ON for refit. The project was cancelled. Towed to Windsor ON 1989, then to Buffalo NY 1995.
Sold for scrap 2007 to Indian shipbreakers.