1978 George A. Stinson
Steel twin-screw self-unloading Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 907
Midbody built at Toledo OH by American Ship Building Co. and towed Nov 1977 to Lorain, where the bow and stern sections had been built. Sections joined in drydock and vessel floated July 15, 1978.
1004’ LOA, 990’6” LBP, 105’ beam, 50’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, 2 oil-fired diesel engines, 16000 BHP
990.0 x 105.2 x 47.7, 34568 GT, 29412 NT US 595539 to:
National Steel Corporation, Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna Co., Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)
Towed Aug 15, 1978 to the foot of Woodward Avenue, Detroit MI for christening and final work to avoid expected strike by shipyard employees at Lorain.
Entered service Oct 14, 1978 clearing Detroit light for Superior WI
Management of vessel transferred 1992 to Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH when the Hanna organization withdrew from vessel management (last vessel managed by Hanna)
Management of vessel transferred 1997 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY
Renamed American Spirit 2004
In service 2011 for American Steamship Co.