1960 Murray Bay 1 2002
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Hull 164
Keel laid Jan 21, 1959; launched Sept 17, 1959
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes when launched and entered service (Arthur B. Homer, Edward L. Ryerson and Red Wing entered service later in the 1960 season at the same dimensions – superseded Edmund Fitzgerald of 1958). These became the maximum allowable dimensions for vessels using the St. Lawrence Seaway and many vessels were built at these dimensions in succeeding years.
730’ LOA, 712’ LBP, 75’6” beam, 37’9” depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 8500 SHP
712.4 x 75.2 x 34.3, 17369 GT, 13486 NT Can 188394 to:
Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC (home port Montreal QC)
Entered service April 9, 1960 clearing Collingwood ON light for Fort William ON
Sold 1963 to N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd., Fort William ON (home port to Fort William ON) and renamed Comeaudoc.
Repowered 1986 with diesel engine
Laid up Dec 4, 1996 at Montreal QC and did not operate again
Sold 2002 to Lower Lakes Towing Ltd. and towed to Port Colborne ON, where her diesel engine was removed for installation in the fleet’s str. Saginaw. Resold for scrap to International Marine Salvage, Port Colborne and scrapped there.