1905 Sylvania 1983
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by West Bay City Shipbuilding Co., Hull 613
Launched March 18, 1905
524’ LOA, 504’ LBP, 54’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI June 30, 1905 (Temp #49)
504.0 x 54.0 x 26.7, 6272 GT, 4826 NT US 201840 to:
Duluth Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1905
Reenrolled at Duluth MN May 30, 1905 (#47)
Renamed D. M. Philbin 1914
Grounded April 30, 1929 off Conneaut OH, Lake Erie. Repaired, returned to service and renamed Sylvania.
Tomlinson fleets merged 1954 into Tomlinson Fleet Corporation (home port to Wilmington DE)
Lengthened 48’ winter 1957-1958 and converted to self-unloader at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 552.0 length and 7352 GT, 5889 NT
Sunk June 1, 1967 in collision with str. Renvoyle while unloading limestone at the dock of Peerless Cement Co. at Port Huron MI. Raised, towed to Lorain OH, repaired by American Ship Building Co. and returned to service.
Fleet sold Aug 1971 to Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH
Boilers converted to oil firing 1974 at Ecorse MI by Nicholson Terminal & Dock Co.
Laid up May 1980 at Toledo OH
Sold for scrap 1983 to Triad Salvage Inc., Ashtabula OH. Towed to Ashtabula and scrapped there.
See history in Scanner Jan 1984 (#125)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian Nov 1980 (#217)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 382