1910 Peter Reiss 1972
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Superior WI by Superior Ship Building Co., Hull 522
Launched May 9, 1910
524’ LOA, 504’ LBP, 54’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1600 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN May 23, 1910 (#35)
512.0 x 54.0 x 30.0, 5923 GT, 4217 NT US 207471 to:
North American Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, R. A. Williams, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service May 27, 1910 clearing Duluth MN with a cargo of iron ore for Ashtabula OH
Home port to Fairport OH 1917
Fleet transferred 1920 to Reiss Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI
Home port to Duluth MN 1925
Home port to Wilmington DE 1928
Converted to self-unloader 1949 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 26.5 depth and 6587 GT, 5068 NT
Fleet sold June 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY. (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Sold 1972 to Clepro Marine Corporation, Toledo OH, William J. Small, Mgr. and converted to a self-unloading barge.
Sold for scrap 1973 to Dwor Metal Co., Port Colborne ON. Scrapped at Port Colborne.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 288