Richards, John B.

1925                                  John B. Richards                                  1959 (1961)

Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter

Built at Old Kilpatrick Scotland by Napier & Miller, Hull 248
Launched March 12, 1925

261’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’3” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP

Enrolled at Glasgow Scotland
253.1 x 43.2 x 17.9, 1743 GT, 1236 NT     Br 148849     to:
Eastern Steamship Co., Port Colborne ON, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port Glasgow Scotland)

Entered service 1925

Enrollment transferred to Canada 1931     Can 148849     (home port to St. Catharines ON)

Sold April 1936 to Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co., Toronto ON

Home port to Toronto ON 1953

Sold 1959 to Saint John Dry Dock Co., Saint John NB for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes

Sank 1961 at dock at Saint John NB.  Had transported tug from England and was partly sunk to float the tug off when the hull ruptured from the weight of the water in the bow.  Scrapped in place at her dock.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *