1889 Manchester 1959
Composite Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 91
Launched May 4, 1889
296’1” LOA, 281’ LBP, 41’ beam, 23’ depth
2 decks, hatches @24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI May 18, 1889 (Temp #93)
281.0 x 41.0 x 20.0, 2132.85 GT, 1611.29 NT US 92087 to:
Inter Ocean Transportation Co., Milwaukee WI (home port Milwaukee WI)
Entered service 1889
Permanent enrollment at Milwaukee WI Dec 31, 1889 (#46)
Sold 1907 to Milwaukee Western Steamship Co., Milwaukee WI, Vance & Joys, Mgr.
Management to D. Sullivan & Co., Chicago IL 1916
Renamed Joseph W. Simpson 1921
Shortened 1922 to Welland Canal length at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 250.8 x 42.0 x 20.7, 1813 GT, 1315 NT
Sold 1923 to Reiss Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI
Sold 1924 to George J. Madden, Ogdensburg NY (home port to Ogdensburg NY)
Transferred 1927 to Madden Coal Corporation.
Converted to crane vessel 1928 at Buffalo NY by Buffalo Dry Dock Co.
Removed from service 1935
Sold 1937 to Joseph W. Simpson Transportation Co., Escanaba MI (home port to Sault Ste. Marie MI)
Sold 1938 to Edwin F. Priddle, Gore Bay Ont. (home port to Toronto ON)
Enrolled Canadian at 243.3 x 41.8 x 19.6, 1778 GT, 1084 NT Can 170256
Transferred 1939 to Mindemoya Transportation Co. and renamed Mindemoya.
Sold 1941 to Albatross Steamship Co., Montreal QC for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes but returned shortly, having never left Canadian inland waters.
Sold 1945 to Feliciano Manzzutti, Sault Ste. Marie ON
Transferred 1946 to Yankcanuck Transportation Co., Sault Ste Marie ON., Capt F. Manzzutti, Mgr. and renamed Yankcanuck (1)
Fleet name changed 1951 to Yankcanuck Steamships Ltd.
Laid up at Sault Ste. Marie ON at end of 1957 season and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1959 to Algoma Steel Corporation, Sault Ste. Marie ON and scrapped at Sault Ste. Marie.
See history in Scanner April 1888 (#164)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian Oct 1971 (#168)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 402