1952 Sparrows Point
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Sparrows Point MD by Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Hull 4505
Launched April 18, 1952
Towed to the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers and prepared for service at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
626’ LOA, 611’ LBP, 70’ beam, 37’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 7700 SHP
Enrolled at Wilmington DE
611.0 x 70.2 x 33.7, 9164 GT, 5608 NT US 264391 to:
Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service Nov 1952
Lengthened 1958 at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 683.0 length and 10317 GT, 5947 NT
Converted to self-unloader 1980 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 11691 GT, 7321 NT
Sold 1991 to Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Buckeye (3)
Sold late 2005 to K & K Warehousing Inc., Menominee MI and towed to Erie PA (home port to Menominee MI)
Converted to barge at Erie by Erie Shipbuilding. Notch cut in stern and cabins removed
Renamed Lewis J. Kuber 2006 and reentered service.
Fleet sold 2011 to Grand River Navigation Co., Avon Lake OH, an affiliate of Lower Lakes Towing Ltd., Lower Lakes Towing, Mgr.
In service 2011 for Grand River Navigation