1904 Wisconsin 2 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 511
Launched Nov 18, 1903
440’ LOA, 420’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1400 IHP
Enrolled at Marquette MI Oct 9, 1903 (Temp #9)
428.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4858 GT, 3707 NT US 200333 to:
Superior Shipbuilding Co.,
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Oct 29, 1903 (#23) to:
Wisconsin Transit Co., Cleveland OH, H. A. Hawgood, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service June 4, 1904, clearing Duluth MN with 240,000 bu. of wheat. Grounded 3 miles above Vermilion Point, near Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior. Released and completed voyage.
Fleet merged 1911 into Acme Transit Co.
Fleet sold Dec 31, 1915 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)
Renamed A. F. Harvey (1) 1916
Cargo hold rebuilt 1917 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 4111 GT, 3005 NT
Renamed A. H. Ferbert (1) 1927
Renamed Herman C. Strom 1942
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Sewell Avery, George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley. Operated during World War II by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA.
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON July 1946 and scrapped there.