1897 Crescent City 1955 (1959)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Ship Building Co., Hull 25
Launched Feb 2, 1897
426’ LOA, 406’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1600 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN April 8, 1897 (#39)
406.0 x 48.2 x 23.9, 4213.00 GT, 3675.64 NT US 127176 to:
Zenith Transit Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1897
Fleet merged 1900 into American Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1922 to arch construction at Cleveland OH
Remeasured to 24.0 depth and 4112 GT, 3028 NT
Sold April 26, 1927 to Consolidated Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, G.A. Tomlinson, Mgr.
Sold June 9, 1928 to Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Detroit MI
Converted to auto carrier at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 4109 GT, 3052 NT
Requisitioned 1942 by U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC
Converted back to bulk freighter 1942 at River Rouge MI by Nicholson Dock & Terminal Co.
Operated during World War II by Overlakes Freight Corporation, Detroit MI
Chartered 1947 to T. H. Browning Steamship Co., Detroit MI. Purchased by them in 1949 and renamed Carl W. Meyers.
Sold 1955 to Delta Lake Ship Co., Buffalo NY, a subsidiary of Continental Grain Co., for grain storage in Buffalo harbor and retired from active service. Sold for scrap 1959 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped there.
See history in Scanner Oct 2000 (#258)