(1945) 1953 McKee Sons
Steel self-unloading Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chester PA by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Hull 354
Built as Marine Angel for U. S. Maritime Commission as Class C4-S-B2 cargo vessel during World War II, registered at 496.2 x 71.7 x 25.6, 11758 GT, 8182 NT. 520’ LOA, 496’ LBP, 71’6” beam, 43’6” depth. Completed as a troop ship. Laid up after the war in the James River reserve fleet. Sold Dec 1950 to owners below, jointly owned by Sand Products Corporation and American Steamship Co.
Towed to Baltimore MD, where she was converted to a bulk freighter by Maryland Dry Dock Co. New forebody built at Pascagoula AL by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co. and towed to Baltimore. Towed to the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers to Manitowoc WI, where she wasconverted to self-unloader.
633’ LOA, 619’10” LBP, 71’6” beam, 38’6” depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 6000 SHP
620.4 x 71.7 x 36.9, 13803 GT, 10940 NT US 247490 to:
Amersand Steamship Corporation, Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered Great Lakes service Oct 1953
Laid up Dec 21, 1979 at Toledo OH and did not operate again for this fleet
Sold late 1990 to Lake Service Shipping Co., Brevord MI, a subsidiary of Sand Products Corporation.
Resold 1990 to Upper Lakes Towing Co., Escanaba MI
Towed Jan 1991 to Menominee MI and converted to a barge with a notched stern to accommodate a pushing tug. Reentered service 1992.
Chartered 2000 to Lower Lakes Towing Ltd., Port Dover ON
In service 2011 for Lake Service Shipping (Lower Lakes Towing)