1943 John T. Hutchinson 1988
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 1010
Keel laid Nov 19, 1942, launched May 1, 1943
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-A1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Delivered at commissioning to Buckeye Steamship Co., taking in trade three older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’ LOA, 605’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, compound engine, 2500 IHP
604.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 8758 GT, 6472 NT US 243685 to:
Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service July 29, 1943 clearing Cleveland OH light for Duluth MN
Sold 1963 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr.
Converted 1964 to self-unloader and boilers converted to oil firing at Superior WI by Fraser-Nelson Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 33.7 depth and 9775 GT, 6964 NT
Laid up at end of 1981 season at Cleveland OH and did not operate again. Towed to Toledo OH 1983.
Plans were made to replace stern with the stern of MV Saginaw Bay, which had a good diesel engine, but the plan was rejected by the U. S. Coast Guard (the Lentz compound engines installed in this vessel class had been found generally to be unsatisfactory).
Sold for scrap 1988 to Corostel Trading Ltd. Resold to Taiwan shipbreakers. Cleared Lauzon QC June 14, 1988 with str. Consumers Power towed by Panamanian tug Omega 809. Tow arrived Kaousiung Taiwan Oct 2, 1988