1903 D. M. Clemson 1 1908
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 510
Launched June 27, 1903
468’ LOA, 448’ LBP, 52’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Marquette MI July 11, 1903 (Temp #1)
448.0 x 52.0 x 28.0, 5531 GT, 3991 NT US 157703 to:
Superior Shipbuilding Co.,
Reenrolled at Duluth MN July 28, 1903 (#9) to:
Provident Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service Aug 13, 1903. When she sailed from the shipyard to the fuel dock and from there to the ore dock to load iron ore, she was given none of the traditional salutes as a new vessel because her master claimed to be nonunion. Other masters were members of the Masters & Pilots Union. Cleared Duluth Aug 14 with a cargo of ore on her maiden voyage.
Foundered about Dec 1, 1908 off Crisp Point, Lake Superior. Cleared Lorain OH Nov 28 with cargo of coal for Superior WI, passed the locks at Sault Ste. Marie MI at 9:30 a.m. Nov 30 and was not seen again. Crew of 24 lost. Enrollment surrendered Jan 15, 1909.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Nov 1957 (#89)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 136