1923 Charles M. Schwab 1994
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 496
Launched June 30, 1923
600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH
586.3 x 60.2 x 28.0, 7935 GT, 6206 NT US 223200 to:
Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1923
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Lengthened and rebuilt 1961 at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
Stern cabins and machinery spaces replaced by a 72-foot midbody built at Lorain and stern, composed of the cabins and engine of the ocean tanker Gulfport. Former engine and boilers replaced by oil-fired steam turbine engine
Rebuilt vessel remeasured to 664.1 x 60.1 x 27.9, 9428 GT, 7034 NT
New official number US 284719 assigned
(The Gulfport had a 64’ beam, which was fitted to the new 60’ beam midbody with a short flared section. The beam of record was measured across the vessel at her midpoint.)
Sold 1975 to Robert Pierson Holdings Ltd., Port Colborne ON (home port to Hamilton ON) and renamed Pierson Daughters.
Enrolled Canadian at 10542 GT, 8144 NT Can 370154
Fleet failed and sold Aug 1982 to P. and H. Shipping Ltd., Mississauga ON and vessel renamed Beechglen.
Sold for scrap 1994. Scrapped at Port Maitland ON.