Buell, F. R.

1888                                    F. R. Buell                                  1922

Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Mount Clemens MI by William Dulac
Launched May 12, 1888

202’ LOA, 199’ LBP, 36’ beam, 23’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boiler, high pressure condensing engine, 400 IHP

Enrolled at Detroit MI Aug 10, 1888 (#9)
194.0 x 36.4 x 22.8, 1438.50 GT, 1199.02 NT     US 120720     to:
William Dulac ¼, Charles Weston ¼ and Chicago Lumber Co. ½, Tonawanda NY (home port Tonawanda NY)

Entered service 1888

Permanent enrollment at Suspension Bridge NY Aug 14, 1888 (#1)

Home port to Mount Clemens MI 1894

Transferred 1901 to Tonawanda Barge Line, William Dulac, Mgr.

Chartered for 1902 and 1903 seasons to Port Huron & Duluth Steamship Co., Port Huron MI

Fleet management transferred 1904 to Tonawanda NY, Charles Weston, Mgr.

Reduced to single deck
Remeasured to 194.0 x 35.5 x 13.9, 951 GT, 743 NT

Sold 1916 to Hamilton Transportation Co., Michigan City IN

Sold 1920 to John J. O’Hagan, Tonawanda NY

Renamed Nagaho (O’Hagan spelled backward) 1921

Damaged Oct 27, 1922 by heavy sea in storm off Point Collins ON, Lake Ontario.  Downbound from Buffalo NY to Montreal QC with cargo of grain.  Continued on to Montreal, where she was inspected and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss and dismantled.

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 38




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *