1896 Sir Henry Bessemer 1954 (1971)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 66
Launched May 9, 1896
432’ LOA, 412’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, 12 hatches @ 28’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 30, 1896 (Temp #115)
413.2 x 48.0 x 24.0, 4321.10 GT, 3293.08 NT US 116723 to:
Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service July 1896
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Sept 8, 1896 (#
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1921 to arch construction at Conneaut OH by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Remeasured to 3850 GT, 2709 NT
Sold Oct 29, 1928 to Lakewood Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Renamed Michael J. Bartelme 1929
Sold 1935 to Columbia Transportation Co., Cleveland OH
Renamed Wolverine (1) 1943
Sold 1954 to Merritt, Chapman & Scott Corporation, Cleveland OH for use as a storage hulk at the Straits of Mackinac during the construction of the Mackinac Bridge. Hull buckled Nov 1955 under the weight of steel and tools stored aboard. Sold 1956 to Roen Steamship Co., Sturgeon Bay WI and used by them as a temporary breakwall during harbor construction at Harrisville MI and then at Leland MI. Later used as a tie up dock at Sturgeon Bay WI. Sold 1966 to Hudson Waterways Corp., New York NY under U. S. Maritime Commission trade-in program. Sold back to Roen and scrapped 1971 at Sturgeon Bay.