1917 William A. Amberg 1984
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 723
Launched Sept 15, 1917
550’ LOA, 525’ LBP, 58’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Oct 11, 1917 (#19)
525.0 x 58.0 x 31.0, 7031 GT, 5641 NT US 215708 to:
Producers Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1917
Renamed Albert E. Heekin 1932 (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet transferred 1937 to National Steel Corporation, Cleveland OH
Traded 1955 with str. Louis W. Hill to Wilson Transit Co., Cleveland OH for str. Ben Morreel and renamed Silver Bay.
Sold 1957 to Republic Steel Corporation, Cleveland OH, Wilson Marine Transit Co., Mgr.
Boilers converted to oil firing 1962
Sold 1971 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH
Sold 1975 to Robert Pierson Holdings Ltd. (The Soo River Co.), Hamilton ON (home port Hamilton ON) and renamed Judith M. Pierson.
Enrolled Canadian at 7777 GT, 5811 NT Can 369239
Fleet failed and sold Aug 1982 to P. & H. Shipping Ltd., Mississauga ON and vessel renamed Fernglen.
Laid up at Toronto ON Nov 10, 1982 and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1984 . Towed to Port Maitland ON and scrapped there.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 130