1907 Ward Ames 1980
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 518
Launched Aug 24, 1907
550’ LOA, 532’ LBP, 56’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN Sept 4, 1907 (#9)
540.0 x 56.0 x 30.0, 5750 GT, 4422 NT US 204449 to:
Acme Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Sept 14, 1907, clearing Duluth with cargo of iron ore.
Fleet sold 1913 to Lackawanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Fleet renamed Interlake Steamship Co.
Renamed C. H. McCullough Jr. 1916
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Boilers converted 1950 to oil firing
Remeasured to 26.2 depth and 5939 GT, 4740 NT
Laid up at the end of the 1966 season at Erie PA and did not operate again for this fleet.
Chartered 1969 season to Roen Steamship Co., Sturgeon Bay WI and operated as a barge carrying iron ore down Lake Michigan from Escanaba MI to Indiana Harbor IN.
Sold late 1970 to Cement Transit Co., Detroit MI, a subsidiary of Medusa Portland Cement Co.
Laid up 1975 at Milwaukee WI (She was to have been converted to a self-unloading cement carrier but evaluation of her condition found this not to be desirable.)
Sold for scrap 1980 to Western Metals Corporation, Thunder Bay ON. Towed to Thunder Bay and scrapped there.