1889 Philip D. Armour 1915
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Detroit MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 93
Launched March 20, 1889
280’6” LOA, 264’ LBP, 40’8” beam, 22’6” depth
1 deck, hold beams, coal-fired boilers, fore and aft compound engine, 750 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI April 18, 1889 (Temp #71)
264.0 x 40.6 x 21.0, 1990.94 GT, 1452.71 NT US 150459 to:
R. P. Fitzgerald, Philip D. Armour and Wiley M. Egan 1/3 each, Milwaukee WI (home port Milwaukee WI)
Entered service 1889
Permanent enrollment at Milwaukee WI May 20, 1889 (#123)
Sunk Sept 7, 1889 in collision with str. Marion in Southeast Bend of St. Clair River. Downbound with cargo of corn. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Enrollment surrendered Dec 27, 1889. Raised 1890 by Reid Wrecking Co., repaired at Detroit MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., reenrolled and returned to service.
Home port to Chicago IL 1900
Sold 1907 to Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Coal Co., Erie PA, George B. Taylor, Mgr.
Sold 1915 to John J. Boland, Buffalo NY
Converted to barge
Foundered Nov 13, 1915 10 miles northwest of Presque Isle Light, Lake Erie. No lives lost. Enroute from Ashtabula OH to Welland ON with cargo of coal in gale, towed by tug Henry E. Gillen, attempted to seek shelter at Erie PA. Tow line fouled in tug’s propeller and snapped; vessel drifted onto a shoal and sank.