Ashtabula

1906                                  Ashtabula                                  1958

Steel twin-screw crosslake railroad carferry

Built at St. Clair MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 19
Launched May 12, 1906
Was planned to be named James W. Ellsworth, the Ashtabula OH coal dealer who developed the service.  Renamed before launching.

350’ LOA, 338’ LBP, 56’ beam, 20’6” depth
2 decks, 2 coal-fired triple expansion engines, 3000 IHP

Enrolled at Detroit MI June 25, 1906 (#96)
338.0 x 56.0 x 21.5, 2670 GT, 1525 NT     US 203071     to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works

Reenrolled at Detroit MI June 28, 1906 (Temp #100) to:
James W. Ellsworth & Co., Ashtabula OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service July 1906 with fleet designation Ellsworth Transportation Co., a joint venture of the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Canadian Pacific Railway, organized primarily to carry coal to fuel CPR locomotives

Ellsworth firm withdrew from vessel management Aug 1906

Permanent enrollment at Cleveland OH Aug 15, 1906 (#24) to:
Pennsylvania Ontario Transportation Co., Cleveland OH

Spent her entire career carrying railroad cars across Lake Erie between Ashtabula OH and Port Burwell ON

Sunk Sept 18, 1958 in collision with str. Ben Moreell in outer harbor, Ashtabula OH.  Raised and towed to her slip at Ashtabula, where she was scrapped by Acme Scrap Metal Co. in 1959.  An underwriter was killed Nov 10, 1958 while inspecting the wreck.  Her captain committed suicide before the Dec 10, 1958 U. S. Coast Guard hearing on the accident.

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 12

 

0649

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *