Atwater, William C.

1925                                  William C. Atwater                                  1984 (1994)

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 249
Keel laid Dec 24, 1924; launched April 4, 1925

603’9” LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2050 IHP

First vessel built with one-piece steel hatch covers, opened and closed with traveling gantry crane (“iron deckhand”)

Enrolled at
589.2 x 60.0 x 27.7, 7768 GT, 6281 NT     US 224662     to:
Wilson Transit Co., Cleveland OH (home port Fairport OH)

Entered service May 1925

Home port to Wilmington DE 1932

Renamed E. J. Kulas  (2) 1936

Repowered 1951 with oil-fired Skinner Unaflow engine at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works

Renamed Ben Moreell  (1) 1953

Traded 1955 to National Steel Corporation, Cleveland OH for strs. Louis W. Hill and Albert E. Heekin and renamed Thomas E. Millsop  (2)

Sold 1975 to Robert Pierson Holdings Ltd., Mississauga ON, Westdale Shipping Ltd., Mgr. (home port to Hamilton ON).
Enrolled Canadian at 9307 GT, 6883 NT     Can 370163

Renamed E. J. Newberry 1976

Fleet sold 1983 to P. & H. Shipping Ltd., Mississauga ON and vessel renamed Cedarglen.

Sold 1985 to Goderich Elevators Ltd., Goderich ON for grain storage in Goderich harbor and retired from active service (home port to Goderich ON).

Scrapped 1994 at Port Maitland ON

IMO 5359224

 

2507

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *