1887 Aurora 1935
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Murphy & Miller
Launched Aug 23, 1887
304’ LOA, 40’ beam, 24’2” depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1600 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Sept 26, 1887 (#19)
290.0 x 41.0 x 22.4, 2282.24 GT, 1859.82 NT US 106493 to:
John Corrigan 7/8 and Xenophon C. Scott 1/8, Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Entered service 1887
Home port to Fairport OH 1889
Ran aground Dec 10, 1898 at the foot of Bois Blanc Island, Detroit River. Towing barge Aurania, downbound from Duluth MN to Buffalo NY with cargo of grain. Caught fire Dec 12 while still aground and scuttled in 18’ of water and surrendered to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Enrollment surrendered Dec 14, 1898.
Raised and rebuilt as a barge at Marine City MI by Alex Anderson. Engine removed, taken to
Chicago IL and installed in 1902 in barge Australia.
Reenrolled at Port Huron MI June 23, 1900 (Temp #97) to:
E. D. Carter, Erie PA (home port to Erie PA)
Remeasured to 21.5 depth and 2236 GT, 2181 NT
Permanent enrollment at Erie PA July 17, 1900 (#3)
Sold late 1901 to Henry Wineman Jr., Detroit MI
Sold May 18, 1915 to Pringle Barge Line, Cleveland OH
Sold Jan 13, 1916 to Morton Salt Co., Chicago IL
Sold 1926 to Construction Materials Co., Chicago IL
Removed from service about 1928. Laid at dock at Marine City MI for several years and finally broken up about 1935.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 18