1943 J. Burton Ayers
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 828
Keel laid Nov 20, 1942, launched May 15, 1943
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-A1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Delivered at commissioning to Great Lakes Steamship Co., taking in trade (for this vessel and str. J. H. Hillman Jr.) five older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’ LOA, 605’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, compound engine, 2500 IHP
604.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 8758 GT, 6472 NT US 243772 to:
Great Lakes Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Oswego NY)
Entered service Aug 19, 1943 clearing Lorain OH light for Duluth MN
Sold 1957 to Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co., Milwaukee WI, Wilson Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH, Mgr. (under charter)
Sold 1966 to Wilson Marine Transit Co.
Sold 1973 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH
Sold 1974 to Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH
Converted to self-unloader at Toledo OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 8796 GT, 6436 NT
Boilers converted to oil firing 1975 at Cleveland OH by G & W Welding
Laid up Dec 16, 1979 at Toledo OH and did not operate again for this fleet
Sold 1995 to Lower Lakes Towing Ltd., Port Dover ON and renamed Cuyahoga.
Enrolled Canadian Can 815560 (home port to Nanticoke ON)
Repowered 2000 with diesel engine at Sarnia ON
In service 2012 for Lower Lakes Towing