1892 C. F. Bielman 1927
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by F. W. Wheeler & Co., Hull 91
Launched July 28, 1892
291’ LBP, 41’ beam, 21’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1050 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI Aug 2, 1892 (Temp #20)
291.0 x 41.0 x 19.8, 2056.20 GT, 1709.16 NT US 126887 to:
C. F. Bielman, Detroit MI (home port Detroit MI)
Entered service 1892
Sold 1894 to Stewart Transportation Co. Detroit MI
Sold 1902 to McLachlan Transportation Co.,
Declared unfit for service 1911 and abandoned at Port Huron MI. Enrollment surrendered June 14, 1916.
Sold March 27, 1917 for off-Lakes service but never left the Great Lakes. (Cost of shortening her to leave the Great Lakes deemed too costly to be undertaken.)
Engine removed and converted to barge at Sarnia ON by Reid Wrecking Co.
Sold 1918 to Reid Wrecking Co., Port Huron MI and Sarnia ON
Repowered with double steeple compound engine
Transferred 1920 to Spokane Steamship Co.
Converted to automobile carrier
Retired from service late in 1926 season.
Towed into Lake Huron 1927 and scuttled. Enrollment surrendered June 29, 1927
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Sept 1963 (#141)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 47