1906 W. K. Bixby 1972
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Shipbuilding Co., Hull 161
Launched Nov 15, 1905
500’ LOA, 480’ LBP, 52’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1650 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI April 16, 1906 (#55)
480.0 x 52.2 x 30.0, 5712 GT, 4407 NT US 202875 to:
National Steamship Co., Detroit MI, M. B. McMillan, Mgr. (home port Detroit MI)
Entered service April 1906
Sold April 12, 1920 to Minnesota Transit Co., Sheboygan WI, C. Reiss Coal Co., Mgr.(home port to Duluth MN) and renamed J. L. Reiss.
Fleet transferred March 6, 1921 to Reiss Steamship Co.
Rebuilt 1923 at Manitowoc WI
Remeasured to 489.0 x 52.2 x 26.5, 5398 GT, 4102 NT
Home port to Wilmington DE 1928
Converted to self-unloader 1933 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Fleet sold June 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Sold fall 1971 to Erie Sand Steamship Co., Erie PA (home port to Erie PA)
Boilers converted to oil firing winter 1971-1972 and vessel renamed Sidney E. Smith Jr. (2) 1972
Sunk June 5, 1972 in collision with str. Parker Evans below the Blue Water Bridge, Port Huron MI, St. Clair River. Upbound with coal, Evans downbound with grain. Later cut in two to help clearing the congestion in the river.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 30