Block, Philip D.

1925                                  Philip D. Block                                  1985

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 789
Launched Jan 17, 1925

600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2200 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH
586.3 x 60.2 x 28.0, 7931 GT, 6210 NT     US 224508     to:
Pioneer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)

Entered service April 1925

Transferred 1936 to Inland Steel Co.

Home port to Wilmington DE 1932

Lengthened 1951 at Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 658.3 length and 8935 GT, 7214 NT

Cargo hold rebuilt 1951 at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 9231 GT, 7320 NT

Repowered 1954 with oil-fired steam turbine engine
Remeasured to 9149 GT, 7178 NT

Management of fleet transferred 1957 to Inland Steel Co., Chicago IL

Laid up Sept 12, 1981 at Indiana Harbor IN and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1985 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON.  Towed to Port Colborne and wintered there.  Resold to Brazilian shipbreakers.  Cleared Quebec QC Sept 16, 1986 with str. W. W. Holloway towed by Polish tug Jantar.  Tow arrived Recife Brazil Oct 24, 1986.

IMO 5276991

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 42

 

2504

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *