1923 John W. Boardman 2006
Steel self-unloading Great Lakes bulk cement freighter
Built at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Hull 175
Launched Sept 6, 1923
350’ LOA, 334’ LBP, 55’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
340.6 x 55.1 x 24.9, 4011 GT, 3148 NT US 223376 to:
Huron Transportation Co., Detroit MI (home port Alpena MI)
Entered service 1923
Remeasured 1929 to 25.0 depth and 3815 GT, 2741 NT
Fleet merged 1955 into parent Huron Portland Cement Co.
Fleet sold 1966 to National Gypsum Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE) and vessel renamed Lewis G. Harriman.
Did not operate 1976 and 1977 seasons. Towed from layup at Green Bay WI to Superior WI, where she was used as a storage vessel
Boilers converted to oil 1978 at Superior WI and vessel returned to service
Remeasured to 3838 GT, 2763 NT
Boilers failed on first trip of the 1980 season and vessel laid up April 20, 1980 at Alpena MI and did not operate again.
Used as storage barge at Green Bay WI and later as storage and transfer vessel at Milwaukee WI
Sold 1996 to Blue Circle Cement Co., Green Bay WI and towed to Green Bay for use as a storage vessel
Sold for scrap 2003 to Purvis Marine Ltd., Sault Ste. Marie ON and towed to Sault Ste. Marie.
Forward cabins removed 2005 and taken to De Tour MI, St. Marys River for use as a summer cottage
Hull scrapped 2006 at Sault Ste. Marie ON