1902 W. W. Brown 1963 (1965)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 52
Launched Feb 1, 1902
366’ LOA, 346’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Oswego NY April 16, 1902 (#3)
346.0 x 48.2 x 24.0, 3582 GT, 2778 NT US 81803 to:
United States Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port Oswego NY)
Entered service 1902
Wilkinson fleet merged 1911 into Great Lakes Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Cargo hold rebuilt 1915 to arch construction
Sold Dec 22, 1915 to Interstate Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, a subsidiary of Jones & Laughlin Steel Co., W. H. Becker, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Renamed Baltic 1920
Sold Jan 23, 1922 to Valley Camp Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH) and renamed John W. Ailes.
Reconstructed 1926 and renamed Harry T. Ewig.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Sold 1934 to Columbia Transportation Co., Cleveland OH
Converted to crane vessel 1939
Fleet renamed Oglebay Norton Co. 1959
Sold for scrap 1963 to Roen Salvage Co., Sheboygan WI. Cut in half and reduced to two scows, both of which broke away from their tow Oct 29, 1965 on Lake Michigan. Bow section struck breakwater at Frankfort MI and sank; stern section grounded on Leelanau peninsula.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 106