1901 William L. Brown 1953
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Ship Building Co., Hull 47
Launched March 27, 1901
452’ LOA, 430’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’6” depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH April 26, 1901 (#102)
430.0 x 50.2 x 24.4, 4998 GT, 3967 NT US 81747 to:
Federal Steamship Co., Chicago IL, C. W. Elphicke & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1901
Management of fleet 1907 to G. A. Tomlinson, Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
Sold 1911 to Republic Transportation Co., Chicago IL, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1913 to arch construction and 12’ hatch centers
Remeasured to 4904 GT, 3879 NT
Sold Oct 23, 1923 to Eastern Steamship Corporation, Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Renamed George H. Ingalls 1924
Transferred 1932 to Western Steamship Corporation, Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE)
Sold 1936 to Automotive Trades Steamship Co., Detroit MI and converted to an automobile carrier at Detroit MI by Nicholson Engineering Works
Converted back to bulk carrier 1942 at Buffalo NY by American Ship Building Co.
Converted back to automobile carrier 1946 at Buffalo NY by Ranahan-McCarthy Marine Terminal
Transferred 1948 to T. J. McCarthy Steamship Co., Detroit MI (home port to Detroit MI)
Flight deck added 1950
Sold 1965 to Hudson Waterways Corporation for trade in to U. S. Maritime Commission on vessels in the reserve fleet. Resold to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Towed to Port Colborne July 1966 and scrapped there.
See history in Scanner Oct and Dec 1998 (#244)