1943 Cadillac 3 1987
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 291
Keel laid April 16, 1942, launched Oct 31, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Launched as Lake Angelina. Renamed Cadillac and delivered at commissioning to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., taking in trade (for this vessel and str. Champlain) five older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT US 243423 to:
Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service June 19, 1943 clearing River Rouge MI light for Superior WI
Chartered to McLouth Steel Co., Wyandotte MI for 1961 season
Boilers converted to oil firing 1969 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 9053 GT, 6364 NT
Laid up Sept 7, 1981 at Toledo OH and did not operate again.
Sold Dec 1982 to Craig Maritime to be chartered to Seaway Lines, Chicago IL for use in the container trade down the St. Lawrence Seaway for American Bulk Shipping. The project was cancelled and the vessel was returned to Cleveland-Cliffs.
Sold for scrap to Hai International for overseas scrapping. This sale too was cancelled and the vessel returned again to Cleveland-Cliffs (the vessel never moved during these transactions).
Sold for scrap 1988 to Corostel Trading Ltd. Resold to Turkish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC Sept 8, 1987 with near sister str. Champlain towed by Dutch tug Thomas de Gauwdief. Tow arrived Aliaga Turkey Oct 30, 1987.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 51