1887 Cambria 1 1924
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter, later package freight and passenger vessel, later automobile carrier
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 12
Launched Feb 1, 1887
Longest bulk freighter on the Great Lakes (until Corsica and Corona of 1888)
300’6” LOA, 280’ LBP, 39’ beam, 24’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 1, 1887 (#99)
280.0 x 40.0 x 20.0, 1878.10 GT, 1377.33 NT US 126420 to:
Mutual Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr. (home port Cleveland OH)
(Fleet controlled by Elbert H. Gary’s Federal Steel Co. 1899-1901)
Entered service 1887
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Sold 1910 to Port Huron & Duluth Steamship Co., Port Huron MI (home port to Port Huron MI)
Converted to combination passenger/package freighter by Milwaukee Dry Dock Co., Milwaukee WI and renamed Lakeland.
Remeasured to 2425 GT, 1813 NT
Sold April 7, 1917 to Northwestern Steamship Co., Port Huron MI
Firm failed 1918 and Minnesota Loan & Trust Co. became receiver
Sold April 28, 1919 to Collinge & Peterson, Cleveland OH
Converted 1919 to package freighter/automobile carrier at Port Huron MI by Wolverine Dry Dock Co.
Sold 1920 to Tri-State Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Mervin S. Thompson, Mgr.
Foundered Dec. 3, 1924 off Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, Lake Michigan. No lives lost.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 64