(1873) 1882 Campana 1895 (1909)
Iron twin screw passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Glasgow, Scotland by Aitken & Mansel, Hull 64 Br 51646
Built as freighter North for the cattle trade between England and Argentina. Purchased 1881 and brought to the Great Lakes to run between Collingwood ON and Lake Superior to replace the burned steamer City of Winnipeg. Cut in two at Montreal QC and towed to Collingwood, where she arrived Nov 14 and was rejoined and converted to a combination passenger and package freight vessel by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. during the winter of 1881-82 and renamed Campana.
Enrolled Canadian 240.8 x 35.3 x 20.7, 1288 GT, 876 NT Can 51646 to:
Canada Lake Superior Transit Co.
Entered Great Lakes service 1882
Chartered during 1886-1888 seasons and first part of 1889 season to Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Montreal QC to replace the lost steamer Algoma until the steamer Manitoba joined the fleet later in 1889.
Ran 1893 season to the Columbian Exposition (the Chicago World’s Fair), Chicago IL
Sold 1895 to Alexander M. Smith, Toronto ON., then to Charles Peter, Toronto ON., then to Quebec Steamship Co. for off-Lakes service. Cut in two and towed to Montreal QC, where she was rejoined. In service between Montreal QC and Pictou NS.
Stranded June 17, 1909 on Wye Rock, Point St. Michel, St. Lawrence River and broke in two at the point of her last reattachment.
See history in Scanner Oct 1970 (#10)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian Oct 1955 (#68)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 66