Carnahan, Paul H.

(1945) 1961                             Paul H. Carnahan                      1986                       

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chester PA by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Hull 481
Launched July 5, 1945
Built as Class T2-SE-A1 tanker Honey Hill for U. S. Maritime Commission during World War II.  Registered at 504.0 x 68.2 x 39.2, 10296 GT, 6154 NT.  520’ LOA, 68’ beam, 39’ depth. Sold 1946 to Atlantic Refining Co. and renamed Atlantic Dealer.  Sold 1960 to owners below. Converted to Great Lakes bulk freighter at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co. with the addition of a new midbody built in Hamburg Germany by Schlieker-Werft and towed to Lorain.  Renamed Paul H. Carnahan 1961

730’ LOA, 708’9” LBP, 75’ beam, 39’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 6000 SHP

Enrolled at
710.9 x 75.1 x 34.7, 12626 GT, 9317 NT     US 248208     to:
Skar-Ore Steamship Corporation, Cleveland OH, an affiliate of National Steel Corporation, M. A. Hanna Co., Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)

Entered service Oct 15, 1961

Sold for scrap 1986 to Taiwanese shipbreakers.  Fitted out and cleared Ecorse Aug 21 for Quebec QC with a crew of retired Hanna employees (retired Vice President Howard Andrews was one of the deckhands).  This crew had earlier sailed str. George M. Humphrey to Quebec and had taken the train to Windsor ON and returned to Ecorse to make this trip.  Cleared Lauzon QC with Humphrey Sept 2, 1986 towed by Dutch tug Smit-Lloyd 109.  Tow arrived Kaohsiung Taiwan Dec 10, 1986.

IMO 5272048

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 56

 

6105

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *