Cartierdoc 1

1928                                  Cartierdoc     1                                  1965 (1970)

Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter

Built at Wallsend-on-Tyne England by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Hull 1329
Launched Jan 23, 1928

259’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 750 IHP

Enrolled at
252.8 x 43.3 x 17.8, 1919 GT, 1142 NT     Br 149455     to:
Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON (home port Newcastle-on-Tyne England)

Entered service 1928

Enrollment transferred to Canada 1930     Can 149455     (home port to Fort William ON)

Deepened 4’ 1949 at Montreal QC by St. Lawrence Dry Docks Ltd.
Remeasured to 21.9 depth and 2147 GT, 1477 NT

Remeasured 1952 to 2209 GT, 1519 NT

Fleet merged 1959 into parent N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd.

Sold for scrap 1961 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON

Resold 1962 to Tank Truck Transport Ltd., Point Edward ON (home port to Sarnia ON)

Converted to a chemical barge 1963at Sarnia ON and renamed Chembarge No. 3.

Sold 1965 to Medusa Portland Cement Co., for use as a dock at Charlevoix MI but was never used.

Sold 1969 to Bultema Dock & Dredge Co., Muskegon MI and used as a temporary breakwater at South Haven MI.  Destroyed during winter 1969-1970

Scrapped 1970



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *