1927                                  Casco                                  1963

Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter

Built at Hull England by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Hull 670
Launched May 17, 1927

261’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’1” depth
1 deck, hatches @ 23’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP

Enrolled at
252.7 x 43.2 x 17.8, 1831 GT, 1153 NT     Can 160046     to:
Lakes & St. Lawrence Navigation Co., Cardinal ON, a subsidiary of Canada Starch Co.  (home port Montreal QC)

Entered service 1927

Sold 1955 to N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd., Fort William ON (home port to Fort William ON) and renamed Thordoc  (2)

Laid up at the end of the 1959 season at Kingston ON and did not operate again.

Sold for scrap 1961 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON  Resold 1962 to Tank Truck Transport Ltd., Point Edward ON, converted to a barge and renamed Chembarge No. 2.

Used 1963 as a dock at Sarnia ON to unload sand for the Holmes Foundry of Chrysler Corporation.  Foundry closed 1988 and dock scrapped in place

See history in Scanner Feb 2003 (#274)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *