1943 Champlain 2 1987
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 1009
Keel laid June 8, 1942, launched Nov 15, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-A1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Launched as Belle Isle. Renamed Champlain and delivered at commissioning to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., taking in trade (for this vessel and Cadillac) five older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’ LOA, 605’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, compound engine, 2500 IHP
604.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 8758 GT, 6472 NT US 243612 to:
Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service July 12, 1943 clearing Cleveland OH light for Superior WI
Boilers converted to oil firing 1969
Laid up at end of 1981 season at Toledo OH and did not operate again.
Sold Dec 1982 to Craig Maritime to be chartered to Seaway Lines, Chicago IL for use in the container trade down the St. Lawrence Seaway for American Bulk Shipping. The project was cancelled and the vessel was returned to Cleveland-Cliffs.
Sold for scrap to Hai International for overseas scrapping. This sale too was cancelled and the vessel returned again to Cleveland-Cliffs (the vessel never moved during these transactions).
Sold for scrap 1988 to Corostel Trading Ltd. Resold to Turkish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC Sept 8, 1987 with near sister str. Cadillac towed by Dutch tug Thomas de Gauwdief. Tow arrived Aliaga Turkey Oct 30, 1987.