1893 City of Alpena 1957
Steel sidewheel overnight passenger vessel
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 114
Launched March 13, 1893
275’ LOA, 266’ LBP, 38’4” beam, 24’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, vertical beam engine, 2400 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI June 24, 1893 (#120)
266.2 x 69.8 x 13.4, 1735.51 GT, 1282.40 NT US 126974 to:
Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Co., Detroit MI, David Carter, Mgr. Home port Detroit MI)
Firm name changed 1898 to Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co.
Renamed City of Alpena II 1912
Sold Dec 22, 1921 to Graham & Morton Transportation Co., Chicago IL
Renamed City of Saugatuck 1922
Fleet merged 1925 into Goodrich Transit Co., Chicago IL (home port to Duluth MN)
Firm went bankrupt in 1933 and vessel taken over by Michigan Trust Co.
Sold Dec 16, 1935 at Marshal’s sale in St. Joseph MI to Roen Steamship Co., Sturgeon Bay WI, Capt. John Roen, Mgr. Towed to Sturgeon Bay.
Converted 1939 to crane-equipped pulpwood barge at Sturgeon Bay WI by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. and renamed Leona
Remeasured to 241.7 x 38.5 x 13.3, 999 GT, 999 NT
Sold July 13, 1945 to Northern Paper Mills Co., Green Bay WI.
Transferred 1946 to Canadian subsidiary (home port to Sault Ste. Marie ON) and renamed Normil
Enrolled Canadian 241.0 x 39.0 x 13.3, 987 NT Can 176163
Firm merged 1956 into Marathon Corporation of Canada Ltd. (home port to Port Arthur ON)
Scrapped 1957 Menominee MI
See history in Detroit Marine Historian March 1956 (#74)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 90