1941 City of Midland 41
Steel twin-screw Great Lakes passenger and crosslake railroad carferry
Built at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation, Hull 311
Keel laid March 21, 1940; launched Sept 18, 1940
407’ LOA, 388’2 ¼” LBP, 58’6” beam, 23’6” depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, 2 Skinner Unaflow engines, 6000 SHP
389.2 x 58.2 x 20.5, 3968 GT, 833 NT US 240326 to:
Pere Marquette Railway Co., Detroit MI
Entered service March 12, 1941 clearing Manitowoc WI for Ludington MI
Fleet merged 1947 into Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Co., Detroit MI
Sold 1983 to Michigan-Wisconsin Transportation Co., Ludington MI
Laid up fall 1988 with boiler mount problems and did not operate again as a carferry
Fleet sold 1990 to Lake Michigan Carferry Service, Ludington MI, Charles F. Conrad, Mgr.
Sold 1995 to Contessa Cruise Line, Lafayette LA for conversion to a casino vessel. The sale was cancelled and vessel returned to previous owner.
Sold 1997 to Pere Marquette Shipping Co., Ludington MI. Towed to Muskegon MI, where her cabins and engines were removed and she was converted to a crane-equipped barge
Renamed Pere Marquette 41 1998 and returned to service
Cargo of pig iron shifted Oct 8, 2000 in storm on Lake Michigan and both cargo and unloading equipment were lost overboard. Repaired at Sturgeon Bay WI and returned to service in 2002.
In service 2012 for Pere Marquette Shipping