1905 Stephen M. Clement 1966
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 336
Launched May 20, 1905
500’ LOA, 480’ LBP, 52’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 14, 1905 (#87)
480.0 x 52.0 x 30.0, 5821 GT, 4487 NT US 202087 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH June 15, 1905 (#88) to:
Buffalo & Susquehanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, John Mitchell, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service June 24, 1905, clearing Lorain OH with coal for Duluth MN.
Fleet merged 1913 into Buffalo Steamship Co.
Fleet sold Aug 15, 1922 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Renamed United States Gypsum (1) 1931
Renamed John J. Boland (2) 1939
Remeasured 1948 to 5950 GT, 4616 NT
Severely damaged Nov 2, 1948 in collision with str. Frank Armstrong in fog in Pelee Passage, Lake Erie. One life lost. Enroute light from Lorain OH to Toledo OH. Forward end rebuilt at Toledo by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 6053 GT, 4657 NT
Renamed Niagara Mohawk 1953
Sold Nov 1965 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Peavey Pioneer 1966.
Grounded May 31, 1966 at Ashland WI, Lake Superior and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Sold to Waterman Steamship Corporation for trade in to the U. S. Maritime Commission on vessels in the reserve fleet. Resold to Hyman-Michaels Co. and scrapped at Duluth MN.
See history in Scanner April 2000 (#255)