Cliffs Victory

(1945) 1951                            Cliffs Victory                                  1985

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Portland OR by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Hull 1229
Keel laid Jan 26, 1945; launched March 9, 1945
Built as Notre Dame Victory for U. S. Maritime Commission as Class VC2-S-AP3 “Victory” class cargo vessel during World War II, registered at 439.1 x 62.1 x 34.5, 7606 GT, 4549 NT.  455’3” LOA, 436’6” LBP, 62’ beam, 38’ depth.  Laid up after the war in the James River reserve fleet.  Sold Dec 1950 to owners below.
Towed 1951 to the Key Highway Yard of Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Baltimore MD for rebuild and refit.  165’6” midbody built at Bethlehem’s Sparrows Point MD yard and inserted forward of midship deckhouse.  Renamed Cliffs Victory.  Towed to New Orleans LA, where pontoons were attached, then towed into the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.  Arrived May 9, 1951 at the Chicago yard of American Ship Building Co., where final conversion was completed.

New dimensions:  619’ LOA, 601’ LBP, 62’ beam, 38’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 8500 SHP

Enrolled at Wilmington DE
604.1 x 62.1 x 34.5, 9305 GT, 6203 NT     US 247522     to:
Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)

Entered Great Lakes service June 1951

Lenghthened 1957 at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co. 
Remeasured to 700.1 x 62.1 x 34.4, 11151 GT, 7309 NT

Laid up 1981 at South Chicago IL and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1985 to Hai International Corporation, Monrovia Liberia. 

Renamed Savic (Panama) for scrap voyage.

Cleared Chicago IL Dec 17, 1985 under her own power with a Taiwanese crew for Taiwan.  Resold to South Korean shipbreakers.  Arrived Inchon, South Korea on December 8, 1986 and at Masan on December 23.

IMO 5076066

 

5102

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *