1892 Columbian 1938 (1979)
Steel twin-screw passenger vessel
Built at Chester PA by Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding & Engine Works, Hull 214
175’ LBP, 33’5” beam,
3 decks, coal-fired boilers, 2 triple expansion engines
Served off the Great Lakes under both U. S. (US 126860) and British (Br 101254) flags
Purchased 1895 by Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., Montreal QC. Bottom sheathed in rock elm to allow her to run the St. Lawrence River rapids.
Enrolled at New York NY, 175.0 x 33.5 x 9.0, 706.85 GT, 431.67 NT US 126860 to:
Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., Montreal QC
Overnight passenger accommodations added 1901 at Sorel QC
Renamed Brockville 1905.
Enrolled Canadian 1906 175.0 x 33.5 x 9.0, 944 GT, 597 NT Can 101254 (home port Montreal QC)
Lengthened 1909 at Sorel Que. and renamed Rapids Queen. Second stack added.
Remeasured to 194.4 x 33.3 x 8.8, 1307 GT, 770 NT
Fleet merged 1913 into Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC
Sold 1929 to Sin-Mac Lines, Montreal QC
Transferred 1934 to Sincennes-McNaughton Tugs Ltd., Montreal QC
Sold 1938 to Canadian Dredging Co. for off-Lakes and non-transportation service (as an oil bunkering barge on the lower St. Lawrence River).
Renamed C.D. 110 1939
Laid up 1960 at Kingston ON after the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Sunk 1979 as a breakwater for Queen City Yacht Club in Toronto ON harbor.
See history in Scanner Oct 1978 (#77)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 285