(1913) 1934 Comet 1973
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size tanker
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull
Launched March 22, 1913
260’ LOA, 250’ LBP, 43’ beam, 25’ depth
1 deck, oil-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1300 IHP
250.0 x 43.0 x 26.0, 2486 GT, 1258 NT US 211398
Built for Standard Transportation Co., New York NY, a subsidiary of Standard Oil Co. (New York) for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes upon completion
Renamed Cometa (Mexico) 1927
Sold 1934 to Marine Tankers Inc., Cleveland OH, Allied Oil Co., Mgr., renamed Comet and returned to service on the Great Lakes
Sold 1940 to Allied Oil Transport Corporation, Cleveland, Cleveland Tankers Inc., Mgr.
Lengthened at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 322.0 x 43.2 x 24.9, 2987 GT, 2327 NT
Transferred 1942 to Cleveland Tankers Inc.
Laid up at end of 1970 season at Toledo OH and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1973 to Acme Scrap & Metal Co., Ashtabula OH and scrapped at Ashtabula.