1896 Coralia 1955 (1962)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 64
Launched Feb 22, 1896
432’ LOA, 412’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1350 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH April 22, 1896 (#94)
413.2 x 48.0 x 24.0, 4330.87 GT, 3351.43 NT US 127129 to:
Mutual Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr. (home port Cleveland OH)
(Fleet controlled by Elbert H. Gary’s Federal Steel Co. 1899-1901)
Entered service 1896
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Rebuilt 1920. Forward cabins moved from abaft her second hatch to her forecastle.
Remeasured to 4349 GT, 3264 NT
Sold April 26, 1927 to G. A. Tomlinson, Duluth MN and then on May 12, 1927 to Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Detroit MI. Converted to auto carrier at Detroit MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Requisitioned 1943 by U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC. Converted back to bulk carrier at Cleveland OH by G. A. Hendrickson Co. and reentered service managed by Overlakes Freight Corporation.
Sold 1947 to Overlakes Freight Corporation, Detroit MI and chartered to Troy H. Browning Steamship Co.
Sold 1949 to T. H. Browning Steamship Co., Detroit MI and renamed T. H. Browning
Renamed L. D. Browning 1952
Sold 1955 to Beta Lake Ship Co., Buffalo NY, a subsidiary of Continental Grain Co., for grain storage in Buffalo harbor and retired from active service. Remeasured as a barge to 4442 GT, 4325 NT. Sold for scrap 1962 to Marine Salvage Ltd. Towed to Port Colborne ON May 1965 and partially scrapped, then towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped by Steel Company of Canada..
See history in Detroit Marine Historian May-June 1954 (#55)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 143