1905 William E. Corey 1970 (1973)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 67
Launched June 24, 1905
With Elbert H. Gary, George W. Perkins and Henry C. Frick longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until J. Pierpont Morgan and Henry H. Rogers of 1906 — superseded Augustus B. Wolvin of 1904)
Designated as flagship of the fleet with extensive passenger accommodations not installed on her three sister vessels.
569’ LOA, 549’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Chicago IL July 28, 1905 (Temp #4)
557.8 x 56.0 x 26.5, 6363 GT, 5045 NT US 202296 to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Harry Coulby, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Aug 12, 1905, clearing Chicago IL light for Duluth MN.
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Oct 16, 1905 (#11)
Rebuilt 1940. Hatches to 24’ centers with hatch crane.
Remeasured to 555.5 x 56.2 x 26.4, 6485 GT, 5118 NT
Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE
Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)
Sold 1963 to Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd., Toronto ON (home port to London Eng.) and renamed Ridgetown.
Enrolled British at 556.9 x 56.2 x 26.3, 7637 GT, 5362 NT Br 305991
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1965 Can 305991 (home port to Toronto ON)
Sold 1970 to Canadian Dredge & Dock Co. for use with strs. Kinsman Venture and Lackawanna as a temporary breakwater at Nanticoke ON during construction of a power plant for Ontario Hydro.
Raised 1973, towed to Toronto ON, and sunk again as a breakwater at Port Credit ON.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Nov 1976 (#210)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 78