1908 James Corrigan 1973
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 42
Keel laid Feb 12, 1908; launched May 16, 1908
552’ LOA, 530’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI June 4, 1908 (#81)
530.0 x 56.2 x 32.0, 6971 GT, 5482 NT US 205285 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Detroit MI June 8, 1908 (Temp #83) to:
Frontier Steamship Co. , North Tonawanda NY, W. M. Mills, Mgr. (home port to North Tonawanda NY)
Entered service June 1908
Permanent enrollment at Niagara Falls NY Oct 22, 1908 (#2)
Sold Jan 19, 1916 to Johnstown Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr. (home town to Fairport OH) and renamed Arthur E. Newbold.
Fleet sold 1925 to Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, Cleveland OH, H. K. Oakes, Mgr. and renamed Maryland (2).
Repowered 1946 with Skinner Unaflow engine
Wrecked Sept 12, 1953 near Shot Point east of Marquette MI in storm. No lives lost. Towed to Superior WI and repaired by Knudsen Brothers Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. Boilers converted to oil firing.
Sold late 1953 to Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. and renamed Henry LaLiberte 1954.
Fleet sold 1969 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH
Struck embankment Oct 27, 1973 backing out of Frontier slip, Buffalo NY, damaging steering engine. Sold for scrap to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Towed to Quebec QC and laid up for winter. Resold 1974 to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec April 19, 1974 with str. Joe S. Morrow towed by Polish tug Jantar. Tow arrived Santander Spain May 8, 1974.