1929 Coteaudoc 1 1963
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Whiteinch Scotland by Barclay Curle & Co., Hull 630
259’ LOA, 250’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 750 IHP
252.7 x 43.3 x 17.8, 1940 GT, 1160 NT Br 149500 to:
Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON. (home port Newcastle-on-Tyne England)
Entered service 1929
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1930 Can 149500 (home port to Fort William ON.)
Requisitioned 1940 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes
Sold 1946 to Colonial Steamships Ltd., Port Colborne ON., renamed Milverton, returned to the Great Lakes and reentered service 1947
Heavily damaged Sept 24, 1947 in collision with MV Translake above Morrisburg ON, St. Lawrence River, followed by explosion when oil from the tanker flowed over the steamer and ignited 11 lives lost from Milverton. Translake was upbound, Milverton downbound with cargo of coal. Floated midsummer 1948 and sailed April 1949 to Port Weller ON., where she was repaired.
Transferred 1949 to Sarnia Steamships Ltd., renamed Clary Foran and returned to service Sept 1949.
Remeasured to 17.9 depth and 1975 GT, 1161 NT
Fleet merged 1951 into Colonial Steamships Ltd.
Fleet renamed Scott Misener Steamships Ltd. 1959
Sold 1959 to Reoch Transports Ltd., Montreal QC. and renamed Ferndale (1)
Sold for scrap 1963 to Steel Company of Canada and scrapped at Hamilton ON.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Aug 1965 (#159)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 187