1927 S. T. Crapo
Steel self-unloading Great Lakes bulk cement freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 256
Keel laid April 11, 1927; launched July 7, 1927
402’6” LOA, 384’ LBP, 60’ beam, 29’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
392.5 x 60.3 x 24.4, 4769 GT, 2942 NT US 226885 to:
Huron Transportation Co., Detroit MI (home port Alpena MI)
Entered service Aug 1927
Fleet merged 1955 into parent Huron Portland Cement Co.
Fleet sold 1966 to National Gypsum Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet sold March 1987 to private investors and chartered to Inland Lakes Management, Alpena MI
Boilers converted to oil firing 1995 at Sturgeon Bay WI by Bay Shipbuilding Corporation
Laid up permanently at Green Bay WI Sept 4, 1996 for use as a cement storage and transfer vessel at that port.
Towed Oct 2005 to Alpena MI, loaded with one cargo of cement and towed back to Green Bay. (Fleet str. Alpena was out of service temporarily for repairs and the trip was needed to meet company cargo commitments.)
At Green Bay WI 2011 as a cement storage vessel